Communications & Community Manager
Are you passionate about advancing women in journalism and advocating for more inclusive coverage of diverse experiences and cultures? Do you want to expand your communications portfolio and build community through genuine, thoughtful, and interesting content and conversation?
Journalism and Women Symposium (JAWS) seeks a creative, flexible and entrepreneurial part-time Communications & Community Manager who is excited to help grow JAWS’ membership and impact. This is a contract position for JAWS and is ideal for a candidate with communications, social media and program management experience interested in gaining nonprofit association experience. This position is well suited for a mission-driven, dynamic and productive self-starter who thrives in a rapidly changing and growing environment. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized and effective multitasker with strong interpersonal skills and excellent judgment. They will also write like a dream, consistently advocate for the inclusion of diverse voices and stories, and be unafraid to think beyond traditional methods – both online and offline – to engage, educate, and advocate for JAWS’ mission. The Communications & Community Manager will work closely with the JAWS’ Executive Director, Board and volunteers as a critical partner in developing and advancing JAWS’ mission and vision.
Those with a journalism/media background and who have a knowledge of the industry and its trends are highly encouraged to apply. Those with other types of professional experiences are also welcome to apply.
Founded in 1985, Journalism and Women Symposium is a 501(c)3 non-profit that advances the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism and advocates for more inclusive coverage of the diverse experiences and cultures that comprise our society. We believe that by advancing women in journalism, we transform the world.
- This is an independent contractor position. The initial contract will begin on or about July 1, 2023 and end on June 30, 2024, with an opportunity to renew.
- This is a part-time role (approximately 15 hours per week) reporting to the Executive Director.
- Occasional travel and work on weekends and evenings is required.
- Job Location: The position is fully remote. The contractor must have their own work space, equipment and general office supplies. They will assume all reasonable operational business expenses for this contract work.
- Develop communications strategy and plans, working closely with the Executive Director and Communications Committee.
- Oversee content for the monthly member-focused email newsletter, growing circulation, open rates and other engagement metrics.
- Manage content for JAWS’ website, keeping it up-to-date, accurate and compelling to attract, engage and serve members, potential members, partners and funders – and showcase our organization.
- Reinforce JAWS’ messaging (external and internal) and manage the JAWS brand.
- Manage all member communications, working with Communication, Membership, Fundraising and other committees.
- Manage, promote and grow JAWS’ digital communities, including its website, membership platform and social media channels.
- Provide coordination and staffing support to monthly webinars, online learning and other programs.
- Provide staffing support to JAWS’ annual conference committee and for the annual conference, which will be held in Chicago in October 2023.
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, business, communications, marketing, journalism or related field – or equivalent training or experience.
- Three years of membership communications, digital marketing or other relevant experience.
- Adaptable, flexible and accountable. Able to thrive in a fast-paced, growth-focused and deadline-driven environment.
- Strong project manager with demonstrated experience managing multiple diverse projects simultaneously.
- Experience with basic website design, database management, website content management systems, email marketing programs, desktop publishing software, webinar platforms (Zoom) and social media scheduling platforms (Hootsuite).
- Highly skilled writer with excellent grammar and editing skills; able to analyze and distill information into audience-specific content.
- Strong goal-setting and prioritization skills; ability to drive achievement of JAWS’ strategic priorities.
- Strong commitment to infusing diversity, equity and inclusion into JAWS’ programs and communications.
- Experience working in a small entrepreneurial nonprofit or as a freelancer with minimal administrative support and oversight.
- Nonprofit/association management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to assess, understand, and utilize marketing data (internal and external) to inform work.
Send a letter of interest to Molly Schar, Executive Director, at by June 15, 2023. Please include your name and “Communications & Community Manager Resume” in the subject line of the email. Your letter of interest should address why you are interested in this position and what qualifies you for it. Also include your resume and three professional references.
This is a part-time position as an independent contractor at $30/hour. Hours will not exceed 60 per month ($1,800) except by advance mutual agreement.
JAWS is a nonprofit 501(c)(3). It provides equal opportunities to all applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. JAWS is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, services, programs and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Molly Schar at .