by Andrea Stone
Have you thought about taking a more active role in JAWS? Here’s an idea: run for the board of directors!
As a JAWS board member, you will help make decisions that will impact a growing organization of more than 700 amazing women. We are looking for leaders with skills—or interest in developing skills—in finance, marketing, social media, event planning and just about everything else.
Board members must have attended at least two CAMPS (this fall in Mt. Hood, Oregon, can count as a second CAMP) and must attend an annual spring board meeting. Each board member chairs or co-chairs a committee comprised of board members and other volunteers to oversee an area essential to the mission of JAWS.
This year the membership will elect the following:
- President-Elect (serves one year followed by two years as President)
- Treasurer (two-year term)
- 3 Directors (each serve a two-year term)
We want candidates who:
- Reflect the diversity of our membership and society at large
- Are passionate about promoting the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism
- Will actively contribute their energy, talents, skills and wisdom to strengthening JAWS as a financially stable organization with rich programming and services that meet its members’ needs.
Voting for JAWS officers and new board members is conducted online by the full membership, concluding at noon Saturday, Oct. 13 at CAMP. Results will be announced and transition of new officers will begin on the Sunday of CAMP, followed by a meeting of the new board.
Members may submit their own names or those of others. If you submit a name other than your own, please secure her approval beforehand. Nominees will be asked to complete a short questionnaire and statement of willingness to serve that will be shared with the entire membership.
Nominations, along with a short explanation of why the person is being nominated, should be sent to by Friday, Aug. 3.
For more information about board members’ duties, see the board of directors page on the JAWS website.
If you have additional questions, please contact " target="_blank" rel="noopener">Andrea Stone, board member and 2018-19 Election Committee chairwoman, or Yumi Wilson, current JAWS president.